Friday, July 17, 2009

THE CHRONICLES OF THE FAIRY GOD SISTER – who do you think you are?

Who do you think you are? I mean, honestly, when you look in the mirror ( especially those of us who have mirrors that shamelessly tell us lies), what do you see? Someone who is ‘all that and more’? Someone who is so ‘hypertek’ you look down on everyone else? Are you the type the bible describes as having ‘an haughty look’? Do you think you are everybody rolled in one? What achievement have you made (or you think you have made) that won’t let you let others breathe? Do you walk around with puffed up shoulders, a proud demeanor and eyes so scornful you look like you’re disgusted to be on earth with ‘lesser mortals’? Do you attain a measure of success and then become inaccessible and larger than life? I mean you suddenly feel like you’re the greatest (and you’re not even Jesse Jags )! Do you look at people and the first thing that comes to your mind (however miniature) is ‘that person is below me’? Ok, pause….. Have I asked up to 21 questions yet? Cos really I could go on and on.

This chronicle was written in anger (yes, fairies get angry too)! It always hurts me when you see people who should be ‘humble’ turn out to be arrogant and then people who ordinarily have EVERYTHING to brag about are so down to earth it’s almost scary! I can bet we’ve all experienced this kind of thing, you know, the one about empty vessels making the most noise? Well, in all fairness the proud vessels are not exactly empty but they sure are noisy!

I’m also angry because today I face the reality of the fact that one of the closest friends to all of us in fairy land is dead. Hell, I thought he was playing a prank on you mortals, maybe part of a ‘come back’ strategy. But no, it’s true, he’s really gone.

Today we’re all celebrating the death of an enigma, the ‘king of pop’, the legend, maestro, and as a friend put it, ‘an era’. Michael Jackson, blab la bla (won’t say more so I don’t repeat what you already know)! What I can tell you (by privilege of being a fairy) is that he was one of the simplest people who walked the face of the earth.

We (in fairy land) loved him, hell one time when my fairy god aunt had fallen short of the fairy god fathers glory and had been summoned for punishment, she went before him, trembling, expecting to be sentenced to eternal damnation. You won’t believe, she met him ‘sliding’ (or attempting to slide) to MJ’s ‘bad’! We laughed so hard! And of course she was let off the hook.

People say we killed him, we sent an innocent man to the grave; not because of the scandals or allegations, but because we ‘over loved’ him, and expected too much from a mere human, forgetting that our several imperfections confirm our mortality. Others say he had personal demons troubling him, how else would you explain the song/video ‘Thriller’, at a time when 90% of the songs around were lovey dovey, mushy songs? Others said he was lonely, watching Jennifer Hudson perform his song this evening kind of confirmed that for me. The lines ‘will you be there when I call, in joy, sorrow’, bla bla bla. Plus, recently, I watched the ‘you are not alone’ video again and as far as I’m concerned, it was a reverse kind of song, I felt like he was singing the song to himself. And that’s whether you like it or not.

Can anyone fill his shoes, can anyone take his place? Can anyone do and be to us what he was? I know he’s looking down on the elaborate memorial service in his honor, all the love and appreciation he’s being shown now. Just makes me wonder; if he had half of this when he was alive it might just have helped him live a happier life.

From earth song, to smile, to stranger in Moscow, to thriller, you name it, the man is/was a legend. I say ‘is’ because he lives on, in my heart, and yours.

Rest in peace MJ, I hope you’re in a happier place.

1 comment:

  1. Fairy God Sister, how many wishes do u grant us mortals?

    ReplyDelete