Friday, July 17, 2009

THE CHRONICLES OF THE FAIRY GOD SISTER – HOT LIQUIDS.

Up at 6.30am, say a quick prayer, skim through the pages of my bible and devotional (part of my resolution for 2009), decide to skip doing my 50 sit ups (after all, I’m late for work), and dash into the bathroom. Dash out 15mins later (not exactly sure I did justice to the issues I went in there to resolve) and then face the life-long, ever reoccurring challenge – what do I wear? 30 minutes after taking a tornado through my box and wardrobe, I’m good to go. Through the mirror I can see the pile of clothes strewn on the bed and giggle; I’ll pack them up when I get back and probably scatter them the next day.

At the office (did I mention getting a cab took almost forever cos the cab drivers wanted to build houses with the fares they were charging)? Why a cab, you might ask? Well, the Armada’s gone for servicing, the Porsche for spraying, and my sister borrowed the Chrysler for the day. Besides, once in a while I like to see how you folks get around.

Ok, back to the office. After apologizing to the guy I’m to take over from, I identify myself (and my station), and get down to work. It’s a Saturday morning so I assume the day’ll go easy. After exchanging pleasantries with the DCA I’m to be relieving, we cross talk and the n he leaves. I settle in, run a couple of adverts, I tell my listener what to expect during my shift, leave them to enjoy John Legend’s ‘heaven only knows’ and then check my duffel bag (I’m a bigz gial) for the CDs I came with. Most of those CDs are promos from either upcoming artistes or artistes who have come up. The day actually goes smoothly, I enjoy the one hour I normally flex with on Saturdays, thoroughly enjoying the calls I get, especially a little girl who calls and says 'hello aunty, please can you play circle of life (Lion King) for me'? I play it, naturally, who would say no to such a voice?

Getting home, it’s breakfast time (or brunch since its past noon) and I settle for the simplest thing, noodles and sausages. Now we all know that goes best with a really cold drink but…… ok, here’s the essence of today’s chronicle. At work I stumbled on a site that taught me something. Want to know why the Chinese have the lowest incidents of heart attacks and other related diseases? They don’t rush for cold drinks after eating – they take hot liquids! A very good article which takes two minutes to read...

Heart Attacks and Drinking Warm stuff.

This is not only about the warm water after your meal, but about heart attacks. The Chinese and Japanese drink hot tea with their meals, not cold water (or sprite or coke or dansa or….), maybe it is time we adopted their drinking habits while eating.
As we all know (ok, and for those of us who don’t),
Myocardial infarction (MI or AMI for acute myocardial infarction), commonly known as a heart attack, occurs when the blood supply to part of the heart is interrupted causing some heart cells to die. This is most commonly due to occlusion (blockage) of a coronary artery following the rupture of a vulnerable atherosclerotic plaque, which is an unstable collection of lipids (like cholesterol) and white blood cells (especially macrophages) in the wall of an artery. The resulting ischemia (restriction in blood supply) and oxygen shortage, if left untreated for a sufficient period of time, it can cause damage and/or death (infarction) of heart muscle tissue (myocardium). You might want to read this paragraph again, I had to!
For those of us who like to drink cold water, this article is for you. It is nice to have a cold drink after a meal (especially when your tummy looked forward to the meal more than you did)! However, the cold water will solidify the oily stuff that you have just consumed thereby slowing down the digestion. Once this 'sludge' reacts with the acid, it will break down and be absorbed by the intestine faster than the solid food. It will line the intestine. Very soon, this will turn into fats and lead to cancer. Ok, it’s not all doom but it is best to drink hot soup or warm water after a meal.

Common Symptoms of Heart Attack...
Heart attacks (or MI’s) are caused by…….time check……….time to play that advert…….the song has 11 seconds left on it, ‘93.5fm, the station on the rock that absolutely rocks, you just listened to blame it on the alcohol, lets pay some bills, don’t touch that dial’. Phew!!!! Once again, saved by the bell, symptoms will be discussed by the fairy god sister some other time (preferably when she’s not at work on the console)!

Till then, easy on the alcohol (anything for our hearts abi).

No comments:

Post a Comment